Frequently Asked Questions
What does Cub Scouting offer my son?
Cub Scouts teaches our boys strong character, values, good citizenship and responsibility while having a lot of fun along the way. Scouting provides a great opportunity for you to spend time with your son. You and your son will do many fun activities together, including camping.
What is the time commitment for Cub Scouts
The Pack meets as a group once a month. The individual Dens typically meet two or three times a month (one or two meetings and one outing).
What is a Den and what is a Pack?
- What are the responsibilities of a parent?
- Provide help and support for the den and pack.
- Work with your son on advancement projects and activities.
- Attend pack meetings with your son.
- Attend and assist with den outings.
- Attend Cub Scout Family camp outs with your son.
A Den is the group of boys that are the same grade or age. A Pack is all of the smaller Den groups together.
What other activities are available to Cub Scouts and their families?
Pack 676 is very active, providing many opportunities for boys and their families. Typical annual events include:
- Fall Carnival
- Coastal Cleanup
- Pinewood Derby
- Blue & Gold Dinner
- Memorial Day Camp Out
- Sports Events (SJ Sharks & SF Giants games, for example)
- Scouting for Food service project
- July 4th Parade
- Space Derby
- End of Summer BBQ & Rocket Launch
- a "Big Event" (USS Hornet Overnight & Sleepover at the Monterey Bay Aquarium are examples)
How much is it going to cost?
When first joining, we ask that you pay the BSA registration fees of approximately $20. We ask that you participate in our one & only fund raiser in the fall, which is selling Trail's End popcorn. With this fund raiser, you can generally pay for the yearly Pack dues of $100. These funds cover the costs for the Pinewood Derby & Raingutter Regatta kits, all awards and some food at events.
We supply your son's scarf. You supply the uniform shirt & uniform patches, hat, book & belt, which costs about $50. (We have a limited supply of gently used uniform shirts available.)
Where can I buy the uniform, patches & book?
- When does my son need to wear his uniform?
- Boys should attend Pack meetings, Den meetings and Scouting events in full uniform.
1. Outdoor World on 41st Avenue has a small supply of these items.
2.There is also a Scout Shop in Santa Clara at:
970 West Julian Street
San Jose, CA 95126
Phone number: 408.249.2086
3.Items can also be ordered from Scoutstuff.org